Social Security Card Update After Naturalization

One of the prototypes of social security card shown on the Social Security Administration website. 

I haven't updated my new U.S. citizenship status with the Social Security Administration yet. I'm still having the old social security card with my old name. (Yes, I changed my name during the naturalization process.)  I was told at the oath taking ceremony that I must wait at least 30 days before going to the office of social security to update my new citizenship status.   Like most new citizens who are always overthinking about how to follow the U.S. law to the T, I'm starting to question, is it really 30 days? Is it really that long?  Is it even reasonable it takes this long?  Did I hear it wrong at the oath taking ceremony?  Now, I'm starting to go crazy.  Is this sad?  I think this has to do with the trauma of waiting in line for so long  to become a U.S. citizen. The many years of feeling insecure about  my future in the USA had caused me anxiety symptoms that still linger with me.  Yes, I was relieved that the painfully long journey is over when I was at the oath taking ceremony. But such relief is short-lived and now I'm feeling the anxiety again...over when exactly should I go to update my social security information.  It's because the USCIS website says I must wait at least  10 days before I visit the social security office but I heard 30 days at the oath taking ceremony.

I don't know why I was issued a social security card when I first came to the USA,  the card never made me feel secure.  It's just one of those things I store in a safety deposit box like it is so "valuable", but is it really?   Nobody ever asked me to present it, none of my employers, banks,  schools, DMV,  etc, etc, ever asked me for the social security card.   I know the purpose of having a social security number.  But I don't understand why there has to be a physical card, since there is no photo or my finger print on it.  It just has the social security number and my name.  I always wonder what happens to the medicare and social security contributions my employers and I contributed all these years, if only I don't naturalize as a citizen and move back to my native country?  What happened to those who were denied a renewal of their green cards because they violated the U.S. law like engaging in a fatal car crash while driving under the influence?  Just what  would happen to the medicare and social security contributed by the immigrant resident if he/she fails to become a U.S. citizen and must leave the USA?  

Does the prospect of having a new social security card as an American give me some more sense of security? No! I only feel anxious to just quickly finish updating my social security information, so I can proceed to use my new social security information to update my information with the DMV, the IRS,  my credit card, banks, etc, etc, and to apply for a U.S. passport.    I don't feel any security with social security because I hear that social security and medicare are going broke and by the time when I retire at 66, there won't be anything for me.  Actually, I think 66 will no longer be the age I will be eligible for full social security benefits, social security raised the retirement age to 67 for people like me.  God knows if they will keep raising the retirement age to 80.  So no, I am not relying on social security since they keep importing illegal poor migrants, social security will only deplete faster. No, I don't think the illegal migrants help social security because most of them make low wages and they have so many children they don't even have to pay income tax but receive medicaid and free tax refund through the very abused "earned income credit" that violates the  taxation principle of "no refund if you never paid the taxes".    The worst part of this refundable credit is that all "illegal immigrants" qualify for the refunds even though they never had any tax withholding.  This is why you see so many "Income Tax Preparation" shops sprouting in all strip malls. This is also one of the leading causes for many many US$ millions  of  tax refund scams that wired the tax refunds to fraudsters outside the USA, which I doubt the IRS will ever recover.

This is why I am very very very against "earned income credit" and "illegal immigration".  I don't care what shitty New York Times and CNN say and all the skewed studies they refer that show illegal immigrants are good for the USA. The true fact is illegal immigration of low-skilled, uneducated poor migrants is a huge burden to the USA.    Legal immigrants are good for the USA, and as of now I am contributing to the system so the old timer citizens who are 65+ can receive their benefits.  As of now, illegal immigrants are washing dishes and making unreported cash income,  receiving tax refunds from earned income credit, and their kids are receiving medicaid, food stamps, free education, housing assistance, and they are good for the USA? How? Only because studies use data on legal immigrants to represent the illegal ones also.  Most American born Americans aren't aware of such things and I pray they start paying attention now, and vote sensibly.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update Social Security After Name Change During Naturalization

I've Developed Agoraphobia During My Years As An Immigrant

Studies That Claim Immigrants Are Less Likely To Commit Crime?