Update Social Security After Name Change During Naturalization


I had opted for a name change during my naturalization to become a U.S. citizen.  As a result, I had turned what used to be my nick name that my English teacher picked out for me when I was in 7th grade back home, into my legal name as an American.  It's because I have been using this "English" nick name during my college years here in the USA and for working with my American colleagues and employers that I just wanted to make it legal when it was such an easy opt-in on the  naturalization application form.    I don't know how other immigrants feel about adopting a new American name as a new citizen.  But in my situation, I was just feeling tired and sick of having to explain to new colleagues or new employers as to why I preferred to be called my English nick name and not the legal name on my social security card, green card, and transcripts.  I think I probably had explained this over a thousand times through out the years: It's because nobody whom I've met in the USA was able to call my legal name correctly and so I never turned my head or responded  when my legal name was called.  It's not that I found it offensive. I don't care.  I'm not sensitive.  I just never registered my name was called because the pronunciation was so off that it just sounded like a stranger's name, and not mine.  Instead, I told my college friends, my professors, and everybody whom I met to call me with this English nick name that I had used in all my English classes back home.  The problem had been, I had to tell this to everybody  whom I newly met.  Then these people all asked me how they should pronounce my legal name correctly so I didn't have to use this English nick name.  I highly appreciate people's eagerness to want to learn how to say my birth name correctly out of respect, but I don't want to bother with the teaching. It's because I tried and nobody could do it right.  Besides, I don't mind using an English name in America and I certainly don't mind using an English name to make it easier for America. I just prefer to use a name that is more acceptable and more marketable in the USA.

Now that I changed my name during my naturalization, I realize "name change" isn't as simple as 1-2-3.  Checking the opt-in box to change name was easy on the naturalization application form.  But now I have to change my name everywhere, starting with the Social Security Administration, DMV, banks, credit cards, my HR department at work. How about college transcripts?  If I apply for grad school or apply to sit for some professional exams that require the submission of college transcripts, my name on my future driver's license will be different from the one on my transcripts.  Do I have to also change the names on the transcripts and diplomas from the colleges I attended?

May be I'm lazy or hassle-phobic, since many American women changed their name after marriage and I never heard any complaint.  In my culture, women keep their birth names after marriage, and there is no need to do the extra paper work to change their names after marriage. Now that my name is changed not because of marriage, but because of naturalization, I realize what a hassle it can be.  I would not want to change name if I were born and raised in the USA with a mainstream American sounding name. It would be too much a hassle for me.    

I have to say though, updating Social Security with my new name was easier than I expected because it only took me a few minutes by merely walking into a very crowded social security office without an appointment.  I was shocked by the crowded scene but somehow I was able to be seen almost immediately by an officer to update my new information.  I guess there must be a separate line to handle the information change.   I was shocked it was handled so fast since there were so many people waiting.  These people may be waiting for matters regarding their benefits....I don't see any senior white person there, the demographics at the time were Hispanics women with kids, Hispanics seniors, African women with kids, African men without kids, Asian seniors.  I assume they are all American citizens since they were probably there to handle matters regarding their benefits?  As to why there was no white senior, I don't know. You are welcome to educate me if you know why.  May be because the white seniors were handling their benefits  online to avoid the waiting room full of people?  Anyway, I felt happily surprised when I was able to be seen immediately.  Now my social security update is done, I can go down the list to continue my name-change process.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Developed Agoraphobia During My Years As An Immigrant

Cultural Shock: Homeless In USA